"Science, Technology, and Innovation: Building a Sustainable Future in Asia and the Pacifi
"Science, Technology, and Innovation: Building a Sustainable Future in Asia and the Pacific"
13 - 17 June 2016
The 23rd Pacific Science Congress (PSC-23) will be held on the campus ofAcademia Sinica in Taipei, Taiwan from 13 - 17 June 2016.
The theme of the 23rd Pacific Science Congress is “Science, Technology, and Innovation: Building a Sustainable Future in Asia and the Pacific”, and is organized around three major themes with eight sub-themes:
I. Understanding and Addressing Environmental Challenges
- Climate Change and Earth System Sciences
- Biodiversity and Natural Resources
- Food / Water / Energy
II. Tackling Human and Social Challenges
- Human Health
- Human Diversity and Inclusive Development
- Disaster Risk Reduction
III. Connecting Science and Innovation for a Sustainable 21st Century
- Science for Society: Building Green Societies
- Emerging Technologies for Sustainability
Plenary Keynote Speakers include:
- Dr. Takashi Gojobori (King Abdullah University of Science and Technology) on “Biodiversity and Natural Resources”
- Dr. Sandra Harding (UCLA) on “Human Diversity and Inclusive Development”
- Mr. Lawrence Kent (Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation) on “Food / Water / Energy”
- Dr. Yuan-Tseh Lee (Academia Sinica) on “Science for Society: Building Green Societies”
- Dr. Gordon McBean (International Council for Science, ICSU) on “Disaster Risk Reduction”
- Dr. George Whitesides (Harvard University) on “Emerging Technologies”
- Dr. Chi-Huey Wong (Academia Sinica) on “Human Health”
- Dr. David Wratt (National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research, New Zealand) on "Climate Change and Earth System Sciences"
As always, PSA is strongly committed to ensuring that the Congress will be focused on core and emerging scientific topics, as well as to be maximally inclusive—both in terms of the participation of all nations in the Asia-Pacific region, and for the full national and generational range of participating scientists.
The 2016 date for PSC-23 marks a new chronology for PSA Congress and Inter-Congresses. Previously, these events took place in odd-numbered years, but the PSA Council decided at its most recent meeting (Fiji, 2013) to shift to even-numbered years to allow the 24th Pacific Science Congress to be held in 2020, as it will mark the 100th anniversary of the Pacific Science Association.